I bought the ipega controller hoping it would be the next-best mobile bluetooth controller. Sadly, it’s just
another cheap imitation.
Other than looking like a Gametel-clone, the three things that immediately drew me to the ipega controller were the
D-pad, the analog sticks and the shape.
I’ll start with the good:
- The D-pad is awesome. As much as I love the Gametel, the circular D-pad just doesn’t always feel
right to me. This is a regular plus-style D-pad that feels exactly the way it should.
- The clip that holds the phone is just as solid as the Gametel’s. Not once did I feel like my phone
would fall out when playing.
- Setup was really easy: Just turn it off, then turn it back on while holding the A, B, X, or Y
buttons to select modes.
Now, onto the bad: Pretty much everything else.
- The Start and Select buttons do nothing in iCade mode. Literally, they’re not map-able at all.
That means you’ll have to sacrifice one of the other buttons to get Start or Select. Who’s dumb idea was
- There was a noticeable button lag: I always notice a lag with all mobile controllers, however it’s
so minor, most other people wouldn’t. That being said, anyone would notice the lag on this
- The shape of the controller made it look bigger and easier to hold, but it was pretty much the exact same
size as the Gametel and didn’t feel any different:
- When clipped into the controller, your phone sits at an angle. This is 100% preference, but I prefer
To make matters worse, I emailed ipega about the issues I had and they never responded. I sent a second
email to every email address listed on their website, saying I was reviewing the controller for my website and
wanted to give them a chance to tell their side of the story...and they still didn’t respond.
As a result, I have to recommend that NO ONE buy this controller. Sure, the D-pad is nice, but everything
else about it is either terrible, or the exact same as the Gametel. It’s much better to get that instead.
Please feel free to go back to the main
bluetooth controller page, or to the mobile gaming page to see
more bluetooth controllers. Also, check out the
main page for more retro-awesomeness!